Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Blog 2- Analyzing Genesis


Kelsey Davidson
Blog 2

When analyzing the Bible and Genesis, it is important to see this piece of literature through a critical eye and not so much a canonical eye. Growing up in a Catholic home, many of the stories were engrained in me, as I wasn’t to question any of the stories but believe they are true and to live my life by the lessons taught. It is somewhat difficult for me to take on a different perspective and view the Bible as literature. Looking at it this way, I find myself questioning this story and developing a precarious response to it. I do not believe I am being sacrilegious nor going against my religion with this new way of thinking; I feel there is a way one can bide by their religion yet still analyzing this piece as literature and discussing it as such.
When speaking of the creation of mankind, Adam and Eve, I find myself now having to depict the language and rethink some of the stories I was told. The concept of heaven doesn’t really exist in Genesis; it was never spoken of. In my mind, I assumed when Abraham dies, he goes to heaven however, such a concept was never mentioned. I have also heard stories that Adam ate an apple from the tree of knowledge however, no specific fruit was mentioned either. It is times such as these where I find myself questioning these stories; not to say I am questioning my faith, I just feel as though it would do no harm to evaluate such a piece of literature and develop a personal opinion about it.
Reading the Bible in such a critical way has made me think about what the Bible is trying to convey to the readers. To me, Genesis sounded like a horror story, with no escape. I kept questioning God’s motives and wondering why he was doing the things he was doing. I have grown up knowing that God is human and divine, he is all good and knows no evil, yet he created evil. Then I realized that one of the main points of the Old Testament is to demonstrate the power God has and what he can do with it. With blending a combination of a critical analysis and a religious background, one might be able to get a better sense of this part of the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment