Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Value of World Literature for the Faint of Heart


Erika Schoene
Humanities 220-02
Professor Beyazit Akman 
Assignment 1: Due January 23, 2013
 
Literature offers the chance to view the inner workings of history, culture, and belief without the restrictions of travel. If I felt the curiosity to understand the ancient Babylonians, I could pick up the Book of Gilgamesh and glimpse their religion, code of honor, and daily lives from the comfort of my overstuffed armchair. It is not that what I learn will not be biased, most likely it will. I would not become an expert either. But, it would give me “the opportunity to expand [my] literary and cultural horizons far beyond the boundaries of [my] own culture.” (How to Read World Literature, pg. 46)

The Humanities are a general description of a very broad field of study. It encompasses oral traditions, mythology, religious texts, wall writings and hosts of other forums of speech. While it is valuable to learn, it is not a subject that needs to be learned to live a valuable life. But, for those that do chose to indulge, it can bestow the ability to see the more value in what they can offer the world and what the world can offer them. There is so much beauty in the world that it can provide irreplaceable joy to be able to experience it, even if indirectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment